Sci-Tech North is assisting the Peace Region Professionals with the organization of monthly professional development events. The Peace Region Professionals represents members of APEGBC (Engineers and Geoscientists), BCIA (Agrologists), BCLS (Surveyors), ABCFP (Forest Professionals), APBBC (Biologists), ASTTBC (Technologists and Technicians), and ABCCA (Archaeologists). The professional associations have mandatory requirements for ongoing professional development and their members have a personal responsibility to develop and maintain their knowledge and skills to ensure competence throughout their careers. This is achieved locally through the Coordinated Continuing Professional Development (CCPD) initiative begun in 2007.
The CCPD initiative is consistent with Sci-Tech's goal of promoting scientific and technical education in the Northeast. The partnership is aimed at increasing the number and diversity of local professional development opportunities with presentations that address issues of local significance. Currently, Sci-Tech handles the logistics associated with bringing speakers to the Northeast; manages registration, venues, and refreshments; and ensures promotion of the event to professionals and the public.
2009 Pro-D Events:
• Current status of Peace Region Environmental Stewardship operations
• Recruiting the Facebook Generation
• 10,000 Years of Continuous Occupation – Charlie Lake
• Ancient Technology for the 21st Century – Wind Power
• New Plays, New Technologies – Fracturing Unconventional Gas Reservoirs
• A Lost World Revealed – Archaeological Research from Finlay Reach
Events will resume again in September.